Creating Your Legacy Through Planned Giving
PLANNED GIVING is the process of making provisions for a future charitable gift, most commonly in your will or estate plan. For most people, a planned gift is the most impactful gift they will make in their lifetime. Planned gifts to Posnack School primarily support the school’s endowment, securing its future for the children and grandchildren of today’s students. Help create a lasting impact for generations of Posnack School students.
Options For Making A Planned Gift
Include A Simple Bequest In Your Will & Create A Charitable Trust
- The simplest way to support Posnack School is by naming Posnack School in your will or Charitable Trust. You can designate either a specific dollar amount or a percentage of your estate after other disbursements. A bequest is a meaningful way to support Posnack School without affecting your cash flow during your lifetime. Your attorney can include it when you prepare or revise your will or you can add a codicil at any time.
Make A Designation From Your Life Insurance Policy, IRA, Or Retirement Plan
- Gifts of new life insurance policies enable donors to build a substantial future endowment gift through reasonable, tax-deductible premium payments. Donation of an existing policy may also offer tax benefits.
- A gift of retirement plan assets can be a surprisingly easy way to reduce potentially very high taxes for your family, and provide support to Posnack School. Retirement plan assets that go directly to charitable organizations are not taxable for income tax purposes or taxable for estate tax purposes.
Give an Outright Gift Using Appreciated Stock
- Whether or not you will itemize for 2018, your gift to Posnack School enables you to receive some valuable tax benefits, especially if you make a gift of appreciated publicly-traded securities.
- The new law will still allow you to make gifts of appreciated assets you have owned for at least one year without triggering capital gains tax. If you itemize your deductions, you will be entitled to an income tax charitable deduction based on the full value of your appreciated assets and completely avoid any capital gains tax upon the transfer to Posnack School.
Tax Advantage for 70 ½ Year Olds
- Donors age 70 ½ or older can transfer a total of up to $100,000 per year, directly from Individual Retirement Accounts to charities such as Posnack School, free from federal income tax.